Spinach Soufflé. A popular French dish with a sexy name. If you like your pancakes fluffy and you enjoy cooked spinach then you would most likely enjoy this yummy dish. If you want to impress your in-laws or best friend, this is the dish for you. Be mindful that the Soufflé becomes a Sou-flat after a couple hours out of the oven, so eat it quickly.
Before you start:
Soufflés can be intimidating, but here’s a few tips and tricks to make sure your soufflé will come out perfect every time!
- I used spinach in my recipe but you can use any filling you’d like. For example, you can do spinach and bacon, cheese, or even just bacon (LOL). Just make sure your filling is dry. That means no oil, grease or water.
- You must, must, must, carefully fold the egg whites into the base mixture. It’s best to do this in three or four portions. Scoop the batter from the sides of the bowl and fold on top. Repeat this until all egg whites are incorporated.
- Coat the sides of the pan with parmesan cheese. The parmesan will adhere to the soufflé and keep it from falling.
- Start baking the soufflé at 400F then drop the temperature to 375F. Remember, what goes up fast will come down fast! Our soufflé does not contain gluten to keep it inflated so we need all the ticks we can use.
- 5 Eggs separated
- 60 grams Spinach strained
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 1/2 cup Mozarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmasan Cheese plus extra to coat the pan
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cayanne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
Step 1. Prep
Preheat the oven to 400F
Separate egg yolks and egg whites into different bowls.
Cook spinach in a pan with no water or butter. Once the spinach is tender, strain. Additional note: Frozen spinach will work just as well, you just have to thaw it and then strain it.
Step 2. The Base
Heat half & half over a medium heat until warm. Add butter and coconut flour and stir mixture continuously until the sauce thickens up. Don't let the mixture boil.
Pour white sauce into a small mixing bowl and season with black pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add room temperature egg yolks and stir.
Add mozzarella, parmesan and the spinach into the white sauce and stir until uniform. Set aside.
Beat the egg whites in a stand mixer. Start on low speed for 2 minutes, add cream of tartar then increase the speed to high until you see stiff peaks.
Stir egg whites into the base in four portions. Stir gently to prevent deflation.
Step 3. Assemble
Line parchment paper at the bottom of a spring form pan. Generously spray the pan with cooking spray. Coat the bottom and the walls of the pan with parmesan cheese.
Transfer the soufflé mixture into the baking pan.
Place the pan in the pre-heated oven at 400F then drop the temperature to 375F. Cook for 30 minutes